I love fairytales! They have so many hidden messages and analogies. We can incorporate these lessons in our life, even if they were written many, many years ago.
Did you read storybooks as a child? Which one is most memorable to you?
One fairytale I remember vividly is the story of Little Red Riding Hood, or “La Caperucita Roja” in Spanish. The part that always struck me was when the wolf impersonated Little Red Riding Hood’s grandma and proceeded to eat the little girl, who was then rescued by the “good hunter” later.
Little Red Riding Hood was inquisitive and curious – and her intuition was telling her something was off about her granny. Grandma’s eyes were bigger, her expression was unusual, her mouth was not quite right, and her ears were hairy – but Little Red Riding Hood still got closer and closer.
Have you ever met someone pretending to be another person? What did they do?
Today, it is so much easier to be impersonated or to interact with someone that is pretending to be somebody else. With the use of technology, this is all possible, in ways you can’t imagine! You don’t have to be a little girl delivering sweets to her grandma to fall into the claws of a big, bad wolf.
Here are few actions you can take if you suspect someone could be impersonating you:
- Do a search of your own name on Social Media channels and in your browser to find out if your personal information has been used in another profile. Do they have your photos or identifying details about you?
- Do a reverse search of your profile image and to check if your image has been used on other sites.
- When you do find an impostor, take screenshots as proof of the profile.
- Reach out to your friends, because the impersonator may have talked to them to try to trick them.
- Report the impostor to the Social Media headquarters right away.
- Let your family and friends know that you’ve been impersonated.
- Check your other accounts to make sure they are secured. Change your passwords if you have any doubt.
- Finally, stay calm! Don’t let fear overcome you – stay in a state of mind that helps you make the best decisions when it comes to your security.
These tips will help you stay safe online and protect yourself and others from the dangers online. Just like Little Red Riding Hood, there are many good hunters that are on your side to help you stay away from the wolves. Remain positive and take action to secure your cyber world!
Have you ever had an experience like this? Share in the comments below!